Thread Started By Second Life

• 53 Vote(s) - 3.11 Average
Rate Thread
Oculus Users Consider Sansar Through Second Life Lens

[To see links please register here]

, riffing off

on Project Sansar. To succeed, Sansar needs to grow interest from VR fans far beyond the established SL user base, but as the conversational thread shows, that's a somewhat paradoxical challenge is: The only people likely to be extremely enthused by Sansar are dedicated Second Life users. (In great part because they're hoping to be able to move their SL content/identity/currency to Sansar.) For just about everyone else (in this case, Oculus Rift early adopters), pitching Sansar as "from the people who created Second Life" will elicit a shrug, or a vaguely positive/negative kind of "Oh that 3D Sims-like thing that got a lot of media coverage a few years ago" -- or from the millions who actually tried SL once, something like this, one of the top upvoted comment in the thread:

Yeah, it was popular for a hot minute but have you actually used 2nd Life? The UI is some of the worst shit I've ever seen, they have no idea what they're doing besides a general idea of "let's create a virtual world." I do not trust them or have any hype at all for them to lead anything or revamp anything with VR.

If I were with Linden Lab (and don't you wish I was, or maybe not), I'd put just as much emphasis on the non-SL background of people developing Project Sansar --

have also worked on other major MMOs/games/3D platforms that are also worth mentioning. Right?

Please share this post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linden Lab sells off Pathetic Sansar Ap0110 6 3,865 08-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Last Post: D0gstar
  RELAY FOR LIFE OF SECOND LIFE PASSES $3 MILLION DOLLAR MILESTONE Second Life 0 3,333 01-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Second Life
  Last Day to Take NWN's Second Life to Sansar Survey Second Life 0 3,065 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  Linden Lab CEO: Sansar to Steer Clear of "Complete Geekdom" Second Life 0 2,386 01-06-2017, 09:50 PM
  Enter the Sansar Dollar: First Virtual Currency With Real Money Value in New VR Era Second Life 0 3,159 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
  Gear VR Gets 5M Users - Huge Growth From 1M Last May Second Life 0 2,283 01-05-2017, 09:27 PM
  Enter the Sansar Dollar: First Virtual Currency With Real Money Value in New VR Era Second Life 0 2,948 01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
  Sansar Has No Official Facebook Page Yet, So Here's an Unofficial One Second Life 0 2,179 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
  Watch: Linden Lab's New VR Creation Preview for Sansar Second Life 0 2,212 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
  Sansar Has No Official Facebook Page Yet, So Here's an Unofficial One Second Life 0 2,394 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM