Some questions about copybots in 2023

Thread Started By glBindTexture

• 14 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rate Thread
Hi there everyone,

As I said in my intro post, I've been playing SL off and on for about 15 years, most of the time not really playing it but messing around with the engine, LSL and it's internals. I was actually banned in 2011/2012 for finding a way to leak objects scripts from the server.

I have a few questions about copybotting in 2023, I hope someone won't mind answering them

1. Is copybotting still widely spread?
2. Are the 'good' copybots private/paid or is it just a case of there's only a few people interested in developing them, and they lose interest
3. Have LL implemented any of the asset encryption stuff they planned on doing years ago?
4. Has any research been done into the C++ engine for exploitation? I know most of the scripts run server side and I assume it's just a black box
5. Do vendors still do the sneaky media tricks to get IP/user-agent and other info about you if you buy their product to make sure it's not copybotted? I bought some mesh clothing a few weeks ago and looked at the traffic and couldn't see any media requests being made, is there something new?
6. Does anyone know why LL don't just allow some scripts to run on the client and some on the server? Is this an intentional choice to control all the processing? I understand why you might not have done that in 2009 as compute was limited, but nowadays? Just JIT it and put it in the client.

And finally.. 7, is there any way to purchase VIP on this forum without using paypal? Do you take cryptocurrency at all?

Thanks for reading and if anyone wants to talk about the exploit stuff I did in the early 2010's I'd be happy to discuss it in PMs or on discord or somethnig, I'm lucky LL didn't take action against me as the account was tied to my real name, I think I only got banned because I was aggressively trolling people about having their script source.

I should be clear though I'm not on the forum to get pirated assets or anything, I just have a morbid fascination with the aging SL engine and honestly.. I'm amazed it's still alive and as popular as it is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about a mesh body I own. azathothfaust 7 4,221 02-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Last Post: noway hozee
Information I have a few questions????? lilith969 3 4,833 04-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Last Post: lilith969
  Noob Uploading Questions Linds086 5 7,167 07-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Last Post: ZeroThe10th
  Noob questions! miyurandom 3 5,180 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: GOONGSTER