If anyone has any question on the topic of meshes in SL

Thread Started By britneybeans

• 66 Vote(s) - 2.94 Average
Rate Thread
I often play SL with the viewer in wireframe mode so I can see how things are made, but can be difficult to inspect topology if there are too many items rezzed in a busy sim, and surely impossible to see how it has been wrapped, so I began ripping loads of dae and obj to my harddrive and playing with them in apps like Blender.

I've spent a good amount of time watching a lot of modelling tutorial videos for the past couple of years, further bettering my meshing skills.

If anyone has any question on the topic of meshes in SL, please post it up and I will do my best to help.

You wouldnt happen to know the science behind hair modeling? I tried modeling from scratch and the results werent so hot XD
Any tips or tricks you can give in that area would be greatly appreciated

The biggest mistake that people make is they look for a "tutorial" to make a specific thing, like "hair tutorials". Hair building is perhaps one of the most difficult things to create, even with basic prims.

In general, hair is generally WYSIWYG. Each artist has a vision of what they want, and do it their own way. This is why hairs in SL are signatured, meaning, hair from Catwa all looks the same, are all made the same, but no other creator has hair like Catwa. Truth looks like Truth, etc. Even small-fry hair makers, creators that only have a dozen of hairs, also carry their own signatures.

One thing I have observed over the years as I watch favorite hair creators grow, is that they gain experience with style as they make more.

To answer your question about the "science behind hair modeling" is that despite how many links of objects are used to make a hair, prim or mesh, they all use the fewest textures possible, usually just 2 or 3 textures total that are carefully used.

Hi, thanks for the post, I have a hard time with Blender and Mesh. Need to be able to fit the mesh to AVASTAR

(11-07-2015, 06:41 PM)britneybeans Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

The biggest mistake that people make is they look for a "tutorial" to make a specific thing, like "hair tutorials". Hair building is perhaps one of the most difficult things to create, even with basic prims.

In general, hair is generally WYSIWYG. Each artist has a vision of what they want, and do it their own way. This is why hairs in SL are signatured, meaning, hair from Catwa all looks the same, are all made the same, but no other creator has hair like Catwa. Truth looks like Truth, etc. Even small-fry hair makers, creators that only have a dozen of hairs, also carry their own signatures.

One thing I have observed over the years as I watch favorite hair creators grow, is that they gain experience with style as they make more.

To answer your question about the "science behind hair modeling" is that despite how many links of objects are used to make a hair, prim or mesh, they all use the fewest textures possible, usually just 2 or 3 textures total that are carefully used.
[Image: 2ro2qza.gif]

So nothing I didn't know already, ughh I guess the experiments continue.

I have been rigging my own things made in marvelous designer with no problem but the ONE item I wanted so badly full perm in world, came out all wonky... the pants legs have these sticky vertises between the legs when I go into pose mode and move the legs apart, also unfortunately uploaded that way as well. I can't get between the legs on the model to grab the veritses but they don't actually touch... I have no idea why it's doing it. Grrr!

(11-08-2015, 12:13 AM)monkeyspank Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

I have been rigging my own things made in marvelous designer with no problem but the ONE item I wanted so badly full perm in world, came out all wonky... the pants legs have these sticky vertises between the legs when I go into pose mode and move the legs apart, also unfortunately uploaded that way as well. I can't get between the legs on the model to grab the veritses but they don't actually touch... I have no idea why it's doing it. Grrr!

God I hated when that would happen, so what I would do is go into pose mode and stretch the legs apart forcing the sticky parts to reveal themselves.
[Image: 1elvrq.jpg]

Then I would go into weight painting mode and select the masking button ( Press M)
or select this button down here
[Image: 2ekjcsw.png]
Pressing that allows you to paint each face so you just select a spike and weight paint it individually until all the spikes are gone.

Wow totally Thanks! I was already in bed on my laptop but now I'm tempted to drag back into my office and try this! ( I absolutely LOL'd on your graphic of the ballet statue! ) I had tried to weight paint it tho I don't think it was holding the stretchy pose when I switched between modes. Will see what happens...

Ah, that one did not go well, there were way too many spikes I was at it for hours, and they would get smaller - hadda keep toggling around - then in the end it wouldn't let me save it all due to some zero weight, and I couldn't find the offending spots... I closed it. grrr... :( frustrating!

Send me the blend and i'll look at it. or the mesh file itself.
Just use Mega.nz to host it then give me the link.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question mambanero 1 1,758 10-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Optimus Prime
  im a noob but also had a membership question Tribu 2 3,243 03-10-2016, 02:47 AM
Last Post: Tribu
  Hey sexy people....i have a question VidaBonitaBaby 1 2,705 06-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Last Post: ZeroThe10th