Second Life Copybot

Full Version: High Fidelity Poll to Implement Chat System in VR World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
High Fidelity Poll to Implement Chat System in VR World

[To see links please register here]

, asking users what kind of text-based chat system they'd like implemented in their virtual world -- interesting, because the way chat is implemented will massively impact how High Fidelity is used, and who uses it.

For instance, the poll asks how important it is that "Users should have the facility to forward chat snippets to High Fidelity for review" and that "Users should be able to rate other users individually." Either of those could be an important tool to curb user-to-user abuse -- but at the same time, incur enormous community management costs on the company's part. When they talk about users rating users, I assume (hope) they mean anonymously, as a way of flagging abuse, and not publicly -- as happened early in Second Life, with disastrous social consequences.

The fact that High Fidelity is even asking whether they should have text-based chat at all is surprising:

[Kermit-drinking-tea] I mean, I think it's inarguable that Second Life had a far healthier and diverse community when it was a chat-only virtual world, while introducing voice gave an unfair advantage to extroverted users over introverted ones, while also coarsening the discourse, but that's none of my business.[/Kermit-drinking-tea]

Please share this post: