Second Life Copybot

Full Version: StartUp: New Show About Launch of Virtual Currency Better Than Bitcoin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
StartUp: New Show About Launch of Virtual Currency Better Than Bitcoin

[To see links please register here]

is a crime-flavored twist on the Internet start-up show, in that it's set not in Silicon Valley but Miami (meaning less geeks in hoodies, more sex and sunlight), and it centers on the creation of GenCoin, a new virtual currency that's supposedly better than Bitcoin. Here's the sexy founder making the sexy pitch:

Pretty amazing, when you think about it, that a relatively big budget series with some well-known actors is about virtual currency. (Martin Freeman from the UK version of The Office and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a star.) Anyway, she gets to differentiate GenCoin from Bitcoin around 1:10:

"Bitcoin... good idea. Its code is open source, a true democratization of money... which makes it susceptible to third party interference, and ultimately corruption. "

Which is all very true. (Witness Bitcoin getting

.) Then again, all money is democratized and susceptible to interference and corruption. So if I was writing the script, I'd write a more effective Bitcoin diss, like:

"Bitcoin... interesting idea. Its code is open source... so only hardcore libertarian techies and criminals use it. Seriously, people,

."

Then yet again, I'm not sure if this show can convince us that GenCoin could actually become more popular than Bitcoin as a currency. People excited by virtual currency keep forgetting that money only works as money when there's a pre-existing community with a shared social infrastructure containing a market to spend it in. That's why it's still the case that more people use Linden Dollars than Bitcoin. So if I was writing this show, I'd create a scenario where GenCoin spins out of a mobile phone-based MMO in a developing world which became so popular, people started using it as real life currency. (

.) But let's see how the show deals with that particular plot hole (or doesn't).

Please share this post: